Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Homosexuality: Is this true?
Sep 14, 2010

In a question from 2002, Dr. Ryan wrote this: "Plenty of heterosexual people in the U.S. have anal sex with each other, and are at much less risk for HIV infection than gay men having anal sex. If that same heterosexual person had anal sex in, say, sub-Saharan Africa where the rates of infection among heterosexuals are much higher, the odds of that person getting infected with HIV increase tremendously."

So, if this is true it means that in the end, at least in the US there is a greater risk for MSM to acquire HIV than it is for heterosexual men from the same kind of behavior (i.e. anal sex).

Can you try to explain Dr. Ryan's answer??

I don't like the idea of a gay disease, but frankly I would be a little less paranoid about HIV as an heterosexual (horny) man if it is confirmed that heterosexual transmission is actually less likely than homosexual transmission (at least in the US). To be fair I can't imagine how this would be possible from the same behaviors...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I think you may have missed the entire point Ryan was trying to make! The level of risk is related to the sexual activity and not to sexual orientation. If an HIV-negative straight dude has unprotected anal sex with an HIV-positive woman, the risk of acquiring the virus is exactly the same as if an HIV-negative gay man has unprotected anal sex with an HIV-positive male partner. The point Ryan was making is that proportionally speaking there are more HIV-infected gay men than HIV-infected straight women in the US. So if an HIV-negative guy decides to dip his wick in a gay man rather than a straight woman, statistically speaking he's more likely to encounter HIV. This information should not in any way decrease your vigilance in regard to using condoms for all penetrative sex, because there are plenty of HIV-positive women in this country as well. The bottom line is unprotected sex is risky business whether gay, straight, bi-curious or closeted Tea-Party Republican.

Dr. Bob

Previous
helping a friend who doesn't take his meds
Next
SSDI

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.