Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Adenomegaly
Aug 8, 2010

Hi Doctor Francino! I'm sorry to ask you in the incorrect forum, but, I didn't find any of the active related to my question.

I'm HIV+ for 1 year and a half. Since my infection, enlarged lymphonodes have appeared in my neck. They don't seem to be growing. Touching my neck, I can count 4 cervical, 2 menthonian and 1 occipital. The biggest have 1 cm in the largest diameter. My doctor is and Infectologist/Neurologist, and she says that they don't seem to need further investigation.

I know these aren't characteristics of neoplasic nodes. But, since I am also coinfected with EBV, shouldn't I be worrying about this? And, it is normal to be HIV infected and to have permanent enlarged Lymphnodes?

Thank you for your help Dr. Francino!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

It's fairly common to see generalized non-painful lymphadenopathy (swollen glands) in HIVers. This is due to the increased concentration of virus and immune cells that are localized in the glands. The swelling often recedes considerably after the initiation of effective combination antiretroviral therapy; however, this can vary somewhat from person to person. I would agree no further evaluation or intervention is warranted at this time.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hiv
Next
Constant lethargy and fatigue after mid day

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.