Hello Bobert ;)

Hi Dr. Bob,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for all the support you have been giving to people in these forums. I have an incident that I'd like clarification on that happened a year ago which is haunting me. I'm a college student at a large state university and am a virgin. I lived in the dorms last year, and I got cut in the shower (palm of my hand), which I dried up but didn't put a bandaid. I then ventured in the cold winter day to class and totally forgot that I had been cut and then once in class, I glanced at my hand and saw dry blood on it - at this point I didn't freak out as it was probably my own blood. I felt fine until the next month when i got strep - took antibiotics and was fine. A month later (2months post "trauma"), I developed an ulcer in my throat next to the tonsil and went to the doc as I thought it was strep again. The doc said it was just an ulcer caused by a virus and it should go away. My other symptoms were just a stuffy nose and very mild fever - I swim daily so I thought my swimming contributed to them. the doc informed me that the ulcer was caused by a virus, and that got me thinking. It went away after 5 days and i haven't had a recurrence of it at all. Do my symptoms suggest ARS or HIV? Is it possible for me to contract HIV on my cut from a door handle? How long can HIV survive outside the body - 10 mins, 15mins? Also can common viruses cause ulcers in throat?

Please I know this probably sounds cheezy but I've never gone over it. I suffered from Hodgkins lymphoma when I was younger and value my health.

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Dental spittoon - risk of exposure
Is LJ001 something to get excited about