Then what do you suggest?

Hi Dr. Bob, I've read many of your answers to things that people have found to combat HIV; Selenium, Ozone Therapy, Coconut Oil, etc... You seem quite negative, trite and condescending about anything that is not a prescription drug. SO, WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? As a recently infected person, 598 T-Cells/ 50,000 Viral Load, I am currently NOT on Meds yet, and am looking for an "Alternative" way to lower my Viral Load and boost my CD4's. At the moment, I am taking Vitamin D, curcuma and Reservatrol supplements, as they work in Synergy to do the above (A doctor on this site recommended the Viatmin D).

Kind regards from the South of France.

P.S. I don't know if you yourself are HIV positive, but the ONE THING (..I guess most.. or namely, me) HIV positive people want to do is to get back to being HIV negative. We eat, drink and sleep this - Even if that does sound unrealistic. Please try to be more understanding in your answers...

Hello South of France,

Regarding your "PS," yes, I am positively charged. The virus found me while I was working in January 1991. I, too, "eat, drink, and sleep this." In addition, as an HIV physician specialist I also have treated countless HIVers, performed clinical research and lectured extensively on all aspects of HIV/AIDS. Add to this that I founded two medical clinics devoted to the comprehensive and compassionate care of HIVers. Plus, I founded a not-for-profit tax-exempt charitable organization devoted to providing crucial HIV services to those living with HIV/AIDS and also to raising HIV/AIDS awareness and promoting prevention through education and advocacy. To date my foundation has raised over 1.5 million dollars for AIDS service organizations worldwide.

As for your comments that I am "negative, trite and condescending about alternative treatments", you may have a point. I am a realist and a scientist. As such, I deal in fact not fantasy. I think there is a special place in Hell for charlatans who promote unsubstantiated "cures" and therapies to those who are ill. I stand by my comments.

You ask: "SO, WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?" I suggest general measures to promote good health (optimizing nutrition, regular exercise, not smoking, decreasing stress, not voting Republican, etc.) and I'm a proponent of very early initiation of antiretroviral therapy to decrease damaging immune activation and prevent deterioration of the immune system. I've written about this topic in my blog on this site and plan to address the topic of early intervention from a different perspective in an upcoming blog.

Finally I would suggest you read more of my responses in the archives of this forum before claiming that my responses need to be "more understanding."

I wish you well and urge to be discriminating regarding which treatments you choose to use. Excellent treatment for HIV is now readily available to those lucky enough to have health assurance and access to these therapies. Work closely with an HIV physician specialist and discuss all "complementary" therapies with him. "Alternate" therapies (taking an alternate treatment in place of combination antiretroviral treatment) have not shown any benefit on HIV morbidity or mortality. Don't be duped!

Body Fatigue
Chronic anemia?