Anemia early in HIV disease progression

Hi Doctor

I have a simple question for you. I was wondering at what point Anemia can occur in people with HIV disease. Is it possible to have HIV related Anemia within six months of infection or does it take longer.

Thanks

It would depend on the cause of the anemia. For instance, HIV-associated anemia caused by taking AZT (Retrovir, Combivir, Trizivir) could come on quite suddenly (weeks). "Anemia of chronic disease" caused by chronic HIV infection itself, on the other hand, would become manifest much later (years). You can read much more about HIV-associated anemia and its various causes in the archives. Have a look.

SHINGLES AND CD4 COUNT.
False positive HIV results