just diagnosed

I was diagnosed anaemic in 2005 but suspect i have been for the most part of my life. I am 19 and recently been given an HIV diagnosis on my first ever HIV test. Never had any symptoms before linked to HIV and am not in the high risk group. Is there a possibility that i have low CD4 count due to being anaemic?

Anemia refers to low hemoglobin or red blood cells. CD4 cells are a subset of lymphocytes, which in turn are a subset of white blood cells. Consequently, anemia would not account for a low CD4 count.

Regarding your recent HIV diagnosis, if you've had no HIV exposure risk, your test could be a false positive. You should have the test (and a confirmatory Western Blot if the screening test is positive) repeated without delay.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me. Write back with your results.

Does confirmation of Western Blot mask HIV infection?
Do Antibodies Decline