Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Was diagnosed with full blown aids 20 years ago yet...
Apr 4, 2010

While donating plasma at my local plasma center 20 years ago I was called into the doctors office one day.

He rather coldly got straight to the point and let me know that my last blood test sample came back posative for full blown aids.

He asked me wether or not I understood what I was just told, and then made a point of repeating to me that I was full blown.

I've never gone in to get a second test done at a different location.

My question to you is this, what are the chances of a person surviving the last 20 years with no treatment, could it have been a misdiagnosis?

I've had no symptoms of any type and have lived a pretty energetic and active life since that dreadful day.

Are there cases of people surviving that long without treatment after a "full blown" diagnoses?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Well, where to begin? There are a number of points to be addressed by your alarming post!

1. We do not use the term "full blown AIDS," because there is no such thing as "partially blown AIDS!"

2. Blood plasma donation centers screen for HIV disease to protect the blood supply. Their tests are not meant to be diagnostic. And these centers do not routinely (if ever) run immunological studies, such as CD4 cell counts, which would be needed to give the diagnosis of AIDS (as opposed to "HIV positive").

3. If you were told you were HIV infected (or had AIDS), why would you choose to ignore it for 20 years? That's totally wacky. Certainly you must have read or seen something about treatment advances over the past two decades!

4. I'll make two predictions: (1) Your test 20 years ago was an HIV-antibody screening test and it was a false positive. This would have become immediately apparent if you had had an appropriate follow-up evaluation. (2) The doctor who told you that you had "full blown AIDS" had a severe case of craino-rectal inversion (that means he had his head up his butt!).

5. My advice is simple: Get tested to ascertain your HIV status. The odds are all in your favor that you are HIV negative.

6. Regarding your final question as to whether there are cases of patients with AIDS who survived for 20 years, the answer is no (assuming they really had an AIDS-qualifying diagnosis and were not on treatment).

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hpv shots and HIV test
Next
Should he disclose to all past partners?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.