Hot Yoga

Hi Dr. Bob

I have a question about HIV and Hot Yoga.

Hot Yoga is a series of 26 yoga postures performed in a room that is 115 degrees farenheit and with room humidity somewhere around 50%.

The class is physially exhausting for anyone. You break a sweat after the first 5 minutes and continue to sweat for the entire 90 minute duration (unlike traditional yoga, you are allowed to consume water - and I tend to drink about a litre during the class).

I love it and don't want to stop. But I also want to make sure it is safe for me. My CD4 count is around 500 and the virus is almost supressed (I'm new to drugs). After classes I am physically weak, but so is everyone else in the class.

Is the extreme heat and humidity combined with fairly intense exercise safe for HIV+ people.

Thanks in advance.

G

Hey G,

Hot yoga sounds hot! Can I come and watch? (I'll post below some questions from the archives about my yoga experiences.)

As for your question, I see no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't continue to turn your body into a sweaty pretzel. Just make sure you remain hydrated.

Be well.

double sandwich Jun 23, 2009

thanks a lot dr bob for answering me, im the yoga guy. i assume that "you've got to be kidding me pose" was product of that advil pose, haha. yesterday i emailed the lab where i tested, cause i didnt know what kind of elisa they performed to me. Today the dr say its a 3rd generation elisa, based on a double sandwich technique :P is this accurate? does it is still used in the united states? (im in latin america)

Hi Yoga Guy,

Third generation ELISA tests using the double sandwich technique are very accurate. These assays are still used widely in many areas of the U.S. There is now a fourth generation assay available as well. However, you can rest assured your third generation ELISA will provide a very sensitive, specific and accurate result when taken outside the window period (three months).

As for yoga, I'm getting better; however, I did manage to fall sound asleep during the relaxation period at the end of class. Having to be woken up by the instructor was a bit mortifying, but hey, she was the one telling us how to relax, right?

Be well.

have you ever seen Jun 18, 2009

hello dr bob, i must say that i have converted your forum in my very first page everytime i connect to the internet. maybe could be from psychologically point of view a little worrying hahaha. i just convinced that your words are better than any yoga session. i have a punctual question for you.. and hre it comes in all your experience years, have you ever seen seroconvertions after testing negative at 4-6 weeks? i read you say the majority reveals their status at this time, it is vast majority? it`s just im really really scared about testing again.. and i had a very low risk episode, however sometimes mind becomes perverse :S

Better than any yoga session??? OK, if you say so. I was in a yoga class this week that nearly did me in! I didn't mind the "I need an Advil pose," but started to get worried when I got to the "I'm going to piss my pants pose" and I quietly snuck out of class when we got to the "you've got to be kidding me pose."

As for your question "Have I even seen seroconversion after someone tested negative at four to six weeks," the answer is yes! Remember, HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive. Improvements in HIV-antibody testing have helped to pick up HIV-infected individuals earlier. However, the three-month guideline remains in effect, at least for now.

If indeed you had a "very low risk" episode, you should not be fearful of getting a definitive three-month test.

He wrapped my Lettuce Wrap + Donation
anal sex?