Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

nPeP exactly one week after exposure
Feb 25, 2010

Hi Dr. I had unprotected passive anal intercourse with someone who was positive and not on meds. He was not newly positive and assured me that he had no precum usually. There was no ejaculation but 5 days after this incident I began to have slight night sweats (like one time each night and then I would wake up), swollen painless lymph nodes in my neck and a vague headache. At day 7 I panicked and went on nPEP of Truvada, Norvir and Reyetaz. The symptoms went away the next day. I am convinced that sero-conversion had started to occur. I know that starting meds >72 hours after exposure is less than ideal, particularly since I had started to have physical ailments but I am going to finish out the course anyway. Based on these facts I am preparing myself for the news of being positive but am hoping maybe there is some outside chance that I have prevented this. At the very least perhaps minimized cell damage from the initial exposure. What do you think? I am just finishing week one of the course in meds. Two important points: I did not get a baseline antibody test done yet o determine if there were any antibodies yet and I had used methamphetamine during this sexual encounter (hence my poor judgement). Coming down off this drug often makes me fatigued and sometimes with sweats but these come the night after not five days later and they are never accompanied by swollen lymph nodes. I really appreciate your input.

Response from Dr. Frascino

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Previous
Thank you for giving me hope with your last comment, "Help is on the way"
Next
I am SO SORRY Dr. Bob if I have troubled you in any way... I didn't mean to bother... Do not have anyone to talk to, help me, reach out to...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.