tricky cd4s

Hi Dr. Frascino

For someone who is sick all the time, when is a good time to test their cd4s? From what I understand, having an infection of any kind (sore throat, stomach bug, etc) can temporarily lower white blood cells including cd4s and cd8s. So how can one get an accurate cd4 count, and establish any sort of trend if one is sick almost every month?

Thank you and Happy Valentine's Day!

If you're sick all the time, your doctor isn't doing a very good job! What's up with that? It's true absolute CD4 counts can bounce around a bit due to intercurrent illnesses. I prefer to follow CD4%, which is much less influenced by these transient shifts. Also, it's important to note we follow CD4 counts and CD4% by looking primarily for trends over a period of time. Even with fluctuations due to illnesses or whatever, trends are clearly visible over time.

Happy V-Day to you as well!

To my Doctor of the heart... Mommy of three and your nephews thank you from the bottom of our hearts...