Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

tricky cd4s
Feb 16, 2010

Hi Dr. Frascino

For someone who is sick all the time, when is a good time to test their cd4s? From what I understand, having an infection of any kind (sore throat, stomach bug, etc) can temporarily lower white blood cells including cd4s and cd8s. So how can one get an accurate cd4 count, and establish any sort of trend if one is sick almost every month?

Thank you and Happy Valentine's Day!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

If you're sick all the time, your doctor isn't doing a very good job! What's up with that? It's true absolute CD4 counts can bounce around a bit due to intercurrent illnesses. I prefer to follow CD4%, which is much less influenced by these transient shifts. Also, it's important to note we follow CD4 counts and CD4% by looking primarily for trends over a period of time. Even with fluctuations due to illnesses or whatever, trends are clearly visible over time.

Happy V-Day to you as well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
To my Doctor of the heart... Mommy of three and your nephews thank you from the bottom of our hearts...
Next
hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.