Is Sculptra covered by Blue Cross?

I am meeting with a doctor to have sculptra injections for facial wasting. Is this covered by insurance or do I need to get it approved beforehand?

Insurance coverage for Sculptra and similar products has been a challenge. However, some folks have recently been successful in getting coverage. (See below.) Your HIV specialist and the plastic surgeon who will be injecting the Sculptra may be helpful in providing supporting letters of necessity.

Blu-Cross Authorised Sculprta , Looking for experienced Doc to have it done done : San Francisco area Sep 5, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob.

On AUG,26,2009, I got authorization apporved for Sculptra treatment by my Blue Cross (PPO). (Sunken Cheeks). Blu-Cross will cover 90%.

My problem is finding a Provider who has extensive experience with Sculptra injections

Can you help me by perhaps recommending your own provider of another in San Francisco area. I am really hesitant just going to any dermatology Doc for it.

Blue Cross said i could have the Authorization Transferred to any Doctor of my choosing . Of course if they are "in-network" would be preferred .

In San Francisco I would strongly recommend Michael Echavez, M.D., 490 Post Street, Suite 542 (415.392.9800). He has extensive experience and I have been very favorably impressed with the outcomes of his efforts. You are very wise to be hesitant to go "to any dermatology doc" for this procedure. Technique and experience definitely affect the end results of reconstructive procedures for facial lipoatrophy.

Good luck and send my best wishes to Dr. Echavez should you decide to utilize his services.

Determining when the HIV virus was contracted
Response to the following post I just read (CRIMINALIZING HIV NON-DISCLOSURE, 2009)