Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Atripla and healthy juices (beet, carrot, etc.?
Aug 24, 2009

Dear Dr Bob,

I hope you are doing great!

I have a quick question here, I was wondering if it was ok to take with Atripla a: Carrot, Beet, Apple, Lemon, Grapefruit, Cabbage, Watermelon, Papaya and honey juice? (all fresh and well washed of course).

Sometime i make a juice of all of them and soemtime I combine some of them and feel great but i was wondering if it had any bad interaction with atripla?

Also, a juice like this is good for the liver and kidney right? I ask because in the last 4 months i have gained about 8-10 pounds (fatty foods!) ahd hadnt been eating that much veggies or doing too much excercise! I my last blood wrk}ork a i got a very slightly elevated ALT value (liver enzyme) which i had never had before) and even though the doc told me it was ok and inside the general normal range i though i could drink healthier juices to help my liver out!

So i have started eating healthier and taking this super juice in the mornings and have been feeling better, more ful of energy for the past week!

Hope you can help me to find out if it is ok to take a combo juice like this with atripla in order to help cleanse my liver before my next blood tests!

Take care Dr Bob!

Joel

Thanx a lot!

Joel

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Joel,

The only component of your super juice cocktail that has the potential to cause problems with some HIV medications is grapefruit. It inhibits the cytochrome P450 3A enzyme system which is used to metabolize some HIV medications. Grapefruit juice appears to be more of a problem with protease inhibitors. For example it increased the blood concentration of concurrently administered saquinavir twofold in one study.

I should also point out that while the fruit and veggie juice mix may well be tasty and healthy, it would not have any specific "liver cleansing" effects!

Dr. Bob

Previous
LTNP (Long-term Non-progressors 2009)
Next
Can Anemia be the culprit?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.