Is a dehumidifier good or bad?

Dear Dr Bob,

I was diagnosed about 3 months and am on atripla for about 2 months now. I am feeling great so far. Will have my blood tests done soon.

I was wondering, i live in a city were humidity is at 100%. Is it a good thing to sleep with a dehumidifier in the room? Or maybe it is bad for me to be in a dry environment when sleeping and in a 100% humid one by day?

I have been suffering from nasal congestion for the past week, not runny nose though and no other symptoms besides some morning phlegm. I feel maybe that i am starting to cough a litl bit from time to time now. I have never suffered from allergies in the past.

Will this nasal congestion pass? Should i take medication like tylenol cold or something like that?

Thanx for all your great help in this forum and via your Foundation!

Gerard

Hello Gerard,

A dehumidifier is neither good nor bad as far as your HIV disease is concerned. I would suggest you use it if it makes you more comfortable and allows you a better night's rest.

As far as the nasal congestion, it could be caused by a number of underlying conditions, such as allergy, nonspecific irritation, infection, etc. An oral decongestant may well help. If not, see your HIV doctor for an evaluation.

Good luck. Be well.

when to start (WHEN TO START TREATMENT, 2009)
Am I infected HIV?