Anemia and heavy menses part 2

Thanx 4 answering my first question, it was really eye opening. My gynechologist's knowledge about HIV and treatment is as good as mine. Should i rather find another gyne who can liase with my HIV specialist?

Your gynecologist should at least consult regularly with your HIV specialist regarding your anemia problem. Your HIV specialist should perform a complete medical evaluation for your anemia. Certainly heavy menstrual bleeding may be a contributing factor, but because you are "positively charged," you should have a thorough evaluation for all the other potential causes of HIV-associated anemia. Blood transfusions should be avoided if at all possible. If your gynecologist is not willing to work cooperatively with your HIV specialist, then a switch may be warranted.

Anemia and heavy menstruations Jun 19, 2009

My menses r extremely heavy and have been for quite a long time, i had a blood transfusion 2months ago and my hb changed from 7 to 10. I was afraid my hb will drop again so i went 2 gyne 4 a thorough check of what is causing the heavy menses and could not get an answer. He put me on cyklokapron tabs but they dont seem 2be helping much. I am also on iron suplements truvada and efivarenz and have been for over 2months. How can i keep my hb normal.

There are a number of potential causes of anemia in the setting of HIV disease. In fact that is why we have an entire HIV expert forum dedicated to the topic. Check out the archives. Review the information related to causes of and treatment of HIV-associated anemia. Certainly heavy bleeding during your menstrual cycles could be a cause or contributing factor to your anemia. For that you should follow up with your gynecologist. Your HIV specialist should consult with your gynecologist to thoroughly evaluate this problem and develop a treatment plan. Blood transfusions are not the answer! They can be immunosuppressive and consequently should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Quality of life with fatigue
CD4 count low what multi vitamins do you suggest