Help! No libido

I am a 52 year old woman in menopause. I have been poz for 18 years and am doing well. I'm on Norvir, Prezista and Epivir. My problem is my libido. It is GONE. I'm happily married and we've always had a great sex life. We still do have sex, but I'm doing it mostly because I love my husband. I'm not deriving much physical pleasure from it and I just never feel sexy anymore. I've read that many HIV+ people need testosterone supplements, but everything I'm reading seems to apply to men. My doctor doesn't know much about this and I need some help. What lab tests should I get? Is this a common problem with HIV+ women? I also have a low energy level, although if I get plenty of rest and sleep I am able to work part-time as well as go to the gym 2-3 times/week. I am not anemic. Please help me. Thank you.

Hi No-libido Gal,

Decreased libido and fatigue are indeed very common in both men and women who are virally enhanced. Rather than list off a bunch of tests for you to request from your doctor (who should know much more about this topic than he apparently does!), I'd suggest you ask your HIV specialist for a referral to an HIV-knowledgeable endocrinologist. That specialist will be able to evaluate any hormonal abnormalities and recommend replacement therapy as needed to "sex you back up!" If no physical cause can be determined for your decreased libido and fatigue, you should be evaluated for possible psychological causes. Depression, for instance, can be associated with both fatigue and decreased sex drive along with a number of other symptoms.

Good luck! Hope you're soon happily (and "hornily") back in the saddle again (so to speak).

Lost interest
fatigued, on no meds