Poor judgment in Mexico

Dr. Bob,

What happens in Mexico may not always stay in Mexico. My wife and I vacationed there two years ago. We had unprotected sex with another couple. The woman who I was with, accidently scratched my penis before vaginal and breif anal sex.

One year later, I began having swollen lymph nodes in my armpits. I tested negative for HIV 1/2. Symptoms persisted and have increased to include swollen nodes under chin, clavical area, floaters, shooting pains in pads of feet, numbness in arms, hands and fingers, Lower CD 4 (550 to 417).

From 12 months to 20 months post contnact, I have had 4 Ellisa tests, 1 Western Blot for HIV I and one viral load test, all were negative.

The woman I had sex with refuses to comment but said that she has "body issues." I know that she has psorisis on her legs.

My wife is now experiencing a matching rash on both sides of her body (papular pruritic eruptions/psorisis) She is scheduld to see a skin Dr. in three weeks.

Of course we are both concerned and scared. My wife is an angel (the Mexico fling was my and Jose Cuervo's idea).

What do you suggest we do now. Could this be the rarer type "O" that our US tests may not detect? Should I have a Western Blot to detect HIV II? Our sex partners were not West Africans, but i'm finding that it is a small world.

The diagnostic company that did my initial testing has told me that the EIA test covered "all known subtypes.

Could my immune system be as such that it does not create an immune response?

The symptoms say HIV but test indicate otherwise.

My wife and I would appreciate your apprasial and direction.

Best regards and respect,

Steve and Carrie

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Bisexuality
Holly Geez Dr B