Non-Specific Symptoms

Is Hiv infection the only disease that has non-specific symptoms?When I told the Infectious Disease Specialist I was eperiencing Night Sweats and Trouble Concentrating he told me my symptoms where not specific.What then are the specific symptoms of HIV? Is HIV the only disease known to man that can only be diagnosed by an anti-body test? My 6week and 3mo were negative but I was on PEP for 4wks. My non-specific symptoms strated soon after completing the PEP regiment.Also can you please tell me the reason people sweat at night and not during the day? Thank You.

Is HIV infection the only disease with nonspecific symptoms? Hell no! In fact most diseases have some nonspecific symptoms associated with them! If illness was so cut and dry as symptom A equals disease B, then why would you ever need doctors or confirmatory diagnostic tests?

In your case "night sweats" and "trouble concentrating" can be associated with hundreds of ailments. Consequently your symptoms are not diagnostic of a specific condition ("non-diagnostic"). A headache, for instance, is associated with terminal brain cancer, but a headache is not diagnostic of terminal brain cancer. (You could just have a headache from drinking too much tequila at your local Badda Bing.)

As for symptoms associated with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS), see below.

Is HIV the only disease known to man that can be diagnosed by antibody tests? Nope. There are lots and lots of others!

As for night sweating, there are many underlying causes, ranging from too many feather comforters to underlying infectious diseases to dreams about screwing the hot FedEx guy with the big package.

Congratulations on completing your course of PEP and on your negative three-month follow-up test. You'll need one more test at the six-month mark to definitively conclude you dodged the HIV bullet. The odds are now all in your favor that you'll be WOO-HOOing when you get that final result.

Finally, please note this forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to me at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum.

ARS Symptoms Nov 26, 2008

Dear Doc Bob,

My sincerest congratulations on your recent marriage. May your union be blessed & filled with happiness for many many years!

I can't help but look up to your noble efforts in advising perhaps tons of people. I've read through most of your advises & have learned a lot from you. Going straight to my query, you've advised a lot of worried folks that their symptoms are "not worrisome of acute retroviral syndrome (ARS)." I'd like to shoot the question: what exactly are symptoms which you will advise as "worrisome" of ARS? In case there are any historical posts answering this query, would you be kind enough to guide me & perhaps others who might have the same question in mind?

Many thanks & God bless us all!

-Worry Wart

Thanks for the congratulations and good wishes.

Regarding ARS symptoms, see below.

What exactly are the symptoms of ARS? Nov 15, 2005

Dr. Bob,

Hi there. I've been reading through many of the postings in this forum. Most of the people who write-in are labeled "worried wells" and you tell them that their symptoms are not consistent with the true symptoms of ARS.

I was wondering if you could share with us what you believe the true symptoms of ARS to be. I've found lots of websites describing them, but I want to hear it from a reputable and definitive source such as yourself.

Thanks a lot.

Sure, just check the archives. I've discussed this many times before. I'll repost below just one of the questions that addresses the signs and symptoms associated with primary HIV infection.

Stay well. Be informed, not worried, O.K.?

Me again! Aug 14, 2005

Hi DOc,

You responded to my initial question a few weeks back - thank you so much. You also responded to my partner who was recently diagnosed positive - that was so helpful. Incidentally, I think it was the first time he used a computer in his life - so you achieved more than I have with him there!

Anyway, sorry to bother you again - its now 8 / 9 weeks since my last exposure - I think I am imagining swollen glands all the time! Could you kindly answer two small questions. Firstly, how long after infection do people normally get ARS and symptoms? Secondly, what symmptoms are characteristic?

Thankyou for helping. My partner is being really strong - andw e will get through this together, I love that american term worry well - yes I am a british one of those, sorry!! xx

Hi Brit-Boy,

You're welcome!

Chances are you are indeed "imagining" swollen glands all the time. Regarding ARS, symptoms generally appear 1-3 weeks of contracting the virus. Sometimes symptoms may not appear until 4-6 weeks. It is called a syndrome (Acute Retroviral Syndrome), because it is a collection of symptoms that can be extremely variable form person to person. In fact, symptoms alone are notoriously unreliable in predicting HIV infection. It is estimated that 40-90% of acutely infected folks will have some ARS symptoms. But to specifically answer your question, the following is a list of symptoms associated with ARS and the percentage of time the symptoms are present:

Fever 96%

Adenopathy 74%

Pharyngitis 70%

Rash 70%

Myalgias 54%

Headache 32%

Diarrhea 32%

Nausea or vomiting 27%

Hepatosplenomegaly 14%

Thrush 12%

Neurologic symptoms 12%

The duration of symptoms is generally 1-3 weeks.

Regarding your lover's use of the computer, now that he's discovered the wonders of Internet look out!!!! He just may get so hooked that the only way you'll be able to converse with him is via IM-ing!

Good luck!

having erection problems and low sex drive
quick comment