God Bless Dr Frascino

Dearest Doctor -

I just realized that you are HIV positive.

God Bless you Doctor

You could spend your life fretting over this disease, but rather, you have started a forum to educate us and reassure us - you are a hero!

What can the rest of us do help the cause?

Peace and love to you Doctor!

Spending my life fretting over this (or any) disease is a concept that never even crossed my mind and would be extremely out of character for me. There are people who are "glass-half-empty" types and people who are "glass-half-full" types. I prefer to be a "glass-overflowing" type. (See below.)

As for what someone can do to help, the options are essentially unlimited. For example, you could volunteer at an HIV/AIDS organizations; promote HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention, education and care by demanding age-appropriate, science-based sex education in our schools; vote for and encourage lawmakers who support a national as well as international HIV/AIDS strategy; talk to friends, family and colleagues about HIV/AIDS issues; donate to worthy AIDS service organizations; etc. The list is truly endless. Get involved in your own way.

Years ago, I had the passing thought: "I should raise a million dollars for AIDS." Now, a decade later, I'm working on my second million and hope to reach that goal soon. As Margaret Mead once said: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Thank you for your desire to "help the cause." Now, let's go out and change the world!

Let Life Rule Nov 26, 2008

Doc, I have no question to ask. I just want to say that my biggest wish for you this holiday season is for you to stay alive for a very very long time. Hope and answers are not easy to come when one has no place to confine when faced with questions regrading such stigmatized disease like HIV. But you have giving many people hope and answers through this forum and for that I know my wishes for you will come to pass. Take care and don't forget to take breaks.

Thank you for your thoughtful holiday wish and very kind comments. It's a privilege to be of service. I try to live by the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson and George Bernard Shaw. (See below.) My wish for all this holiday season is that we all realize "the true joy in life . . ." (as expressed by Shaw) and ". . . to know even one life breathed easier because (we) have lived . . ." (as expressed by Emerson).

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. The being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy . . . . Life is no brief candle for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." -- George Bernard Shaw

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; this is to have succeeded." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happy holiday to one and all,

sex and antiretrovirals
Just Donated $25, Please Can You Answer My Question?