Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I got Visa without having knowledge of the diseases in admissible into the US but I am Positive
Nov 15, 2008

Dear Dr.Bob, I have just got a Visa from the US embassy without them that I am HIV positive. What should I do now since I have just realised that I will not be accepted to enter the US.Should I call them and inform them anout this? I will only be in the US for 4 months and Iam on treatment(Nevarapin, Salf...)T30 can I stop taking the drug until I come back? What would be the consequences if I do so? Charles, Malawi

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Charles from Malawi,

I very strongly advise that you do not discontinue your antiretroviral therapy during your four-month visit to the U.S. To do so could have negative consequences on your health and ultimate survival.

The laws banning HIV-positive folks from visiting the U.S. are changing (and will change even more once Bush is booted out of the White House!). You have two options:

1. Call and advise the embassy of your HIV status. Waivers are available, but it may require some paperwork.

2. Take your chances and don't mention it. It is possible your HIV status might be discovered and you would be sent home. However, no one is checking blood tests at the border. And since you have a limited four-month visa, I tend to doubt you'd be discovered.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can Syphilis infection lower CD4?
Next
Temperature Changes Causing Problems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.