I got Visa without having knowledge of the diseases in admissible into the US but I am Positive

Dear Dr.Bob, I have just got a Visa from the US embassy without them that I am HIV positive. What should I do now since I have just realised that I will not be accepted to enter the US.Should I call them and inform them anout this? I will only be in the US for 4 months and Iam on treatment(Nevarapin, Salf...)T30 can I stop taking the drug until I come back? What would be the consequences if I do so? Charles, Malawi

Hello Charles from Malawi,

I very strongly advise that you do not discontinue your antiretroviral therapy during your four-month visit to the U.S. To do so could have negative consequences on your health and ultimate survival.

The laws banning HIV-positive folks from visiting the U.S. are changing (and will change even more once Bush is booted out of the White House!). You have two options:

1. Call and advise the embassy of your HIV status. Waivers are available, but it may require some paperwork.

2. Take your chances and don't mention it. It is possible your HIV status might be discovered and you would be sent home. However, no one is checking blood tests at the border. And since you have a limited four-month visa, I tend to doubt you'd be discovered.

Can Syphilis infection lower CD4?
Temperature Changes Causing Problems