too tired to be buff!

Hey Doc! diagnosed HIV+ at 25 in 1993. Probabbly infected at 21. I was always very skinny. When I became poz i began to work out regularly. I was attempting to preserve what I had. As the years passed i had some lipo from d4t and so worked out harder. I have been off d4t for several years and in the last 2 years my body has changed again....all of a sudden i am filling out like a "man" should be. I am pleased with this new me (especially since I am now in my 40's!) The problem is that i want to workout on weights again and see where it can go but my energy level is low. I work full time for an AIDS Service Organization and am exhausted by the end of the day! too tired to work out. I am not anemic or any other problem (at least according to my bloodwork. my cd4 is always 900-1300 for the last 8 years!! v.l. <50 I also have unexplained night sweats every night! How can I get more energy to do what i feel i need to do to be as healthy as possible?????

-hot "man" type!

P.S. I am not a morning person for working out....on weights that is!

Hello Hot "Man" Type,

There are many potential underlying causes for HIV-associated fatigue. Check out the chapter "Diagnosing the Causes of Fatigue" in this forum. Treatment for HIV-related fatigue is most effective when it targets the underlying cause, or more likely causes, of HIV-related fatigue. It may well take some cooperative detective work with your HIV specialist to identify these underlying conditions, but it's worth the effort. One potential cause you should evaluate is hypogonadism (low testosterone levels). This is a very common condition in HIVers. It is easily diagnosed with a blood test and can be effectively treated with topically applied testosterone replacement therapy.

For a nonspecific lift prior to your lifting, you could always try a double espresso or Red Bull. I find the best stimulus is to have a workout buddy. You can encourage each other to show up and spot each other for few extra reps. (And if you're lucky and he's the right kind of "buddy," you can "spot each other" in another way after the workout!) Working out (both aerobic exercise and resistance weight training) is extremely beneficial. Not only does it improve our health and release feel-good endorphins, but it also makes us look better naked.

Good luck Hottie McMan.

follow up about 'changing guidelines'
Can Syphilis infection lower CD4?