Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv testing
Oct 31, 2008

dr mc gowan i want to ask you questions about hiv testing , its going to be 1 year since i have risky exposure and some like arc symptoms i have done many tests durring this time and they are all negative for hiv antibody. The last one was 11 months after exposure hiv 1 & 2 elisa negative,i donate blood and thay send copy of my tests to my doctor which is state hiv antibody negative and NAAT for hiv negative,my doctor say its no way i have hiv,but i still have persistent ear pain and tinitus in right ear,these simptoms started after exposure and i was really ill about 2 mounths,extremely fatigued ,headache ,cough, i really cant believe i dont have hiv ,my doctore say its a done deal and dont lisent for my symptoms,what is your opinion for me can its possible hiv antybody dont appear that long time ,and hiv cant be detected by NAAT test? what you recomend for me,i plan to take one more hiv antybody test soon?thanks doctor and for bad spelling))))

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear that you are so distressed by this situation. I do agree with your doctor that you do not have HIV infection from your exposure 11 months ago. It is especially the case since you are having so many symptoms. If HIV were the cause of these symptoms it would mean that your body was reacting to the infection, which would mean that you should have shown an antibody by now. You should continue to avoid unsafe contacts to keep yourself from contracting HIV and should look for alternative reasons for your symptoms. You may have chronic sinusitis, allergies, or rhinitis. You should discuss these with your doctor.

Good luck,

Joe

Previous
HIV RNA and HIV ANTIBODY
Next
hiv rna pcr testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.