Another Donation... You're the Man!

My computer is acting up and I wasnt for sure if you got my post. I wanted to know if taking hydroxycut hardcore and/or hydroxycut years leading up to and even the day of an hiv/std test could effect the results. As we have concluded i am negative and i know there are people out there with more important questions. My therapy is working I just may every now and again ask a dumb question, but I continue to donate to your cause because I love helping the people in my gift gift packet for my donations. Thanks again.

Hydroxycut (hardcore or even G-rated) would not affect HIV test results. No way. No how. However, Hydroxycut may not be the healthiest of supplements. (See below.)

There have been many versions of Hydroxycut products over the years. (It's considered the granddaddy of fat burners.) Hydroxycut Hardcore is their latest version. Basically speaking, it appears to be a caffeine potion with some "proprietary blends" thrown in. The caffeine component is enough to make Juan Valdez hyper (approximately three cups of java per serving!). Personally, I find a Peet's double espresso prior to my workouts much more enjoyable.

I'm not sure why you are taking Hydroxycut Hardcore, but if it's for the caffeine boost, I'd recommend espresso instead. If it's for other reasons (weight loss, building muscles, etc.), I'd recommend consulting a fitness trainer and nutritionist.

hidroxycut and atripla Jun 4, 2008

Are there any medication interactions from taking hidroxycut while taking atripla?

I am not aware of any likely direct drug interaction problems with use of Atripla and Hydroxycut. I am dubious about the overall long term safety and efficacy of Hydroxycut for exercise enhancement or weight loss. I pulled the review below from one internet site (KH):

Like most consumers I always check the label on any product to determine it's content. The label on this bottle includes the following:

Hydroxagen (gardinia cambogia) (fruit & rind)(supplying 100mg of hydroxycitric acid) 2000mg * Guarana Extract (seed)(standardized for 22% caffeine) 910mg * MaHuang Extract (stem & leaf)(standardized for 20mg of Ephendra Alkaloids) 334mg * Salicin Complex (purple & white willow bark)(standarized for 15% salicin) 100mg * L-Carnitine(L-Carnitine tartrate) 100mg * Chromium Picolinate 100mg *

Each four capsules of HYDROXYCUT has 2000 mg of Hydroxagen, 910 mg of Guarana Extract, 334 mg of Ma Huang Extract, 15 mg of Salicin Complex (Purple and White Willow Bark), and 300 mcg of L-Carnitine. I like the fact that HYDROXYCUT puts the information and ingredients of its content on an easy to read label. Ma Huang is your basic herbal form of Ephedrine, Guarana Extract is your basic herbal form of caffeine, and White Willow Bark is your basic Aspirin.

According to HYDROXYCUT's research these ingredients have been used extensively in the treatment of obesity. However what HYDROXYCUT does not give is the additional research and side effects of Ma Huang, Guarana Extract and White Willow Bark.

For example there is wide medical research that shows by combining Ma Huang, Guarana Extract and White Willow Bark you get what I call a "natural highball" which can cause heart valve damage, pulmonary cardiovascular damage, pulmonary hypertension and neuropsychological damage. Heart valve damage or valvulopathy is the most common injury from using these types of dietary supplements.

Valvulopathy occurs when the heart-valves (typically the aortic and mitral valves) do not open and close properly, causing regurgitation of blood. If the valves are seriously impaired, secondary pulmonary hypertension may result. Pulmonary hypertension ("PPH") is a rare and often fatal condition. PPH results when there is a narrowing or obliteration of the small and medium pulmonary arteries. Symptoms include increased and extreme shortness of breath and tiredness. Often consumers get these symptoms confused with being overweight.

However, if you begin to experience a shortness of breath and increased tiredness while using HYDROXYCUT you should discontinue use and consult with your physician immediately.

Finally, the signs of neuropsychological damage include cognitive disturbance, memory loss, mood swings, behavioral changes, psychotic breakdowns, and possibly depression. Perhaps this is why one of the reasons why some guys in the gyms seems so angry when lifting weight?

Ultimately there is serious significant risk with any forms of ephedrine, mixed with caffeine, and aspirin, and there is no fixed time frame that indicates when damage or the symptoms above will occur. Although research on HYDROXYCUT is not conclusive, people who use these types of dietary supplements for more than six months are at a higher risk of getting the illnesses I've listed above.

This does not mean that if you used HYDROXYCUT for more than six months you will become ill. Rather, it is possible that you may become ill.

Furthermore, MaHuang Extract, Ephendra Alkaloids or ephedrine is a central nervous system stimulant that is structurally similar to the amphetamines. Contrary to popular belief, there is no good evidence that substances containing Ephendra Alkaloids enhance one's exercise performance.

Currently, the International Olympic Committee and National Collegiate Athletic Association have moved to ban the ingredients in dietary supplements like HYDROXYCUT. HYDROXYCUT markets itself as a "100 natural" and it can be purchased without a prescription. However there is nothing natural about the Ephendra Alkaloids, which are a byproduct of "ephedrine" in HYDROXYCUT.

I used HYDROXYCUT for approximately two weeks; my performance at the gym did not improve. HYDROXYCUT seemed to make me nervous, moody and jumpy, I bounced around the gym like a basketball at a Harlem Globe Trotters game. These side effects occurred gradually, but within the two-week period of usage. I could not sit still, my heart rate increased dramatically; I was a nervous wreck at the gym. I consulted with my physician and he recommended that I discontinue use immediately.

I followed the manufactures recommended dosages taking 4 capsules 30 minutes before breakfast and taking another 4 capsules 30 minutes before afternoon and evening meals. And I never exceeded 12 capsules per day. However, for me, the risks of taking HYDROXYCUT was to high, (no pun intended) I can't justify taking something that does this to my body. Unlike my GNC Megamen vitamins and minerals, HYDROXYCUT is not essential for proper nutrition.

My family has a history of high blood pressure and for me the severity of the adverse side effects that ultimately could cause permanent disability and death, outweigh my efforts at obtaining the ultimate 6 pack or washboard abs. HYDROXYCUT posed a serious health risk for me so I discontinued use and for now I'm stuck with a 4 pack.

Fortunately the manufacturer actually warns consumers that this is for adults a doctor should be consulted before taking it. Furthermore it should not be used if you pregnant, nursing or if you have been treated or diagnosed with high blood pressure, liver, heart, thyroid disease, diabetes, anemia, nervousness, anxiety, depression, seizure disorder, stroke or difficulty in urination due to prostate enlargement.

Although there are many dietary supplements on the market HYDROXYCUT is one that you should stay away from, the sacrifice is too great. Now the small print on the label sticks out in my mind, more than ever "hazardous to a person's health".

always tired Aug 21, 2003

Doc...glad your back..and love your sense of humor!!! first..I think I have been tested for all situations that might cause fatigue, but will go back and check. I am tired...and I seem to be waking up later in the mornings and have a hard time waking up now..but anyway...I am back in the gym..and FEEL GREAT!!! Please tell everyone that they have to FORCE themselves into the gym..if you sit around the fatique will get worse and the better you look from working out...the better you feel..its natural medication. My question...before I work out I take Hydroxycut..I cant do my cardio without it. its now Ephedra free and it contains Calcium, Chromium, Potassium, Green tea, caffeine, guarana. What do you think..It really helps!!! but will it cause heart problems down the road and will it react badly with Kaletra and Combivir. thanks so much and welcome back

I'm delighted to hear you are back at the gym and feeling great. Yes, exercise does indeed energize us! And if that wasn't enough motivation, it also makes us look better naked.

Hyroxycut has been around for quite some time, and was originally promoted as a weight-loss product. That was most likely due to its ephedrine (ma huang) component. We now know this stuff (ephedra) is dangerous. Many supplements, like Hyroxycut, now have an ephedrine- (ephedra) free formulation. The kick you get out of Hydroxycut is most likely caffeine-related, because Hydroxycut contains guarana (caffeine), green tea (more caffeine), and, if I'm not mistaken, even more caffeine on top of that. It also used to contain willow bark, which is like aspirin, as well as the components you listed. What do I think? Well, first off, I'd definitely stay away from ephedrine- (ephedra) containing products. Next, for a caffeine pre-workout boost, I'd prefer a double espresso, but that's just me. I tend to think coffee is one of the 4 basic food groups. As for drug interactions, I don't see a problem with Kaletra or Combivir, but always let your HIV specialist know what supplements you are taking. He or she may want to see the complete list of ingredients to check for drug interactions.

So, see you on the stair climber (or perhaps at Starbucks?). Stay well.

VL and CD4
confused with our hiv status