Get Meds Now?!!

Thanks for the response Dr. Frascino. I appreciate the feedback and if I need further help...I'll certainly know where to go to!

Martin

Hey Martin,

Thanks for your thanks. I'll be here if you need me.

Be well!

Get Meds Now?!! Aug 16, 2008

Hello Doctor...

I was diagnosed with HIV back in December 2007. To make a long story short, I recently visited my new primary care physician for a referral to an infectious disease specialist who ordered a full panel blood test. My tcell count came out at 179 and viral load at 180,000. I've been feeling very tired, my testosterone level is low and just this past Sunday, developed flu-like symptoms resulting in a swollen lymph node on the back of my head-neck area. I'm guessing it was bad reaction to the Bactrim I'm taking but my question here is...Should I wait for my doctor to go through the formalities for a clinical trial I had agreed to in late July or immediately proceed with the meds? Any answer on this issue would be much appreciated!

-Thanks! Martin

Hi Martin,

If I were you, I'd opt for beginning antiretroviral drugs immediately. Make sure your "infectious disease specialist" is also a certified HIV specialist. At this point, your CD4 count below 200 qualifies you for an AIDS diagnosis (as opposed to HIV positive) and you are at increasing risk for opportunistic infections. Your plasma HIV viral load is high and you aren't feeling well. I would suggest a complete evaluation of your fatigue, flu-like symptoms, swollen glands and possible reaction to Bactrim. In addition, I'd get a baseline resistance test (genotype) and recommend antiretroviral therapy without further delay.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me.

6 and 8-week test accuracy after oral sex...
Can I trust my tests? please help me.