Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

recent diagnosis
Aug 12, 2008

Dear Dr.Frascino, This question may not be exactly about fatigue and anemia but i have chosen this forum because i like your responses and style. A bit of background; My partner(40) diagnosed HIV+ after he presented with PCP recently.( Up to this point no real signs of illness- just a few rashes etc).His CD4 count registered as 10(!!), VL 50,000. 3 weeks of septrin cleared the PCP after which he started ARV treatment.He has been on that now for a couple of weeks. Our consultant(we live in the UK) is 'top class' & great and are delighted with the care we are getting.

My question relates to the difference i have observed on this site v our UK experience regarding prophylaxis. My partner IS on prophylaxis for PCP(septrin-one a day)(of course, this can help with TOXO prevention as well) . I have noticed that the advice here(on this site) seems to be (almost universally) that people below 100 cells should also be on prophylaxis for MAC. The docs. here did a blood test and my partner has (at the moment)no signs of MAC,CMV or TOXO. The docs. here have made a balanced judgement (with my partners approval) not to prescribe MAC prophylaxis- but i just keep noticing that that this site is very PRO- MAC prophylaxis. However, the belief here in the UK seems to be that the evidence of benefit of MAC prophylaxis is less than conclusive and monitoring for signs of infection(and then intervention) may be better.

Whats your experience/ opinion Dr. Bob ???Your observations would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I, too, would strongly recommend MAC prophylaxis for HIVers with absolute CD4 counts less than 50. Primary prophylaxis against disseminated mycobacterium avium complex (DMAC) can be discontinued in HIVers who respond to antiretroviral medication with a sustained increase in CD4 count to greater than 100 cells/microliter for at least three months.

Dr. Bob

Previous
what are options to prevent hpv oral cancer?
Next
dental amalgam in HIV+ patients

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.