Restating the mixed martial arts question

Sorry for the confusion Dr. Frascino, Ill try and restate my question better. Here is my short history of possible exposure: 1. Gave oral to a girl of unknown status who miscalculated her cycle, ended up getting period blood in my mouth. I stopped immediately. 18 months ago. 2. Received oral from a divorced woman who's ex-husband was a known steroid user. Didn't know at the time. Unknown status. 16 months ago. 3. While hiking with my fraternity, a new guy fell and cracked his head open. Wrapped him with the first aid kit, however there were no gloves in the kit. Known HIV positive from botched blood transfusion as a kid. 4. The big one: During a sparring match at my Mixed Martial Arts Gym, I got quite a bit of my opponents blood in my mouth while grappling. He was a known steriod user, and has tested positive for HIV. This incident was 13 months ago.

Additional information: - Tested negative on Gen 4 ELISA test 5 weeks ago, more than a year after all possible exposures. - I have been in a completely monogamous relationship for 13 months. - I have never had anal sex, or unprotected vaginal sex...EVER!

Is my result on my ELISA definitive or should I seek out a PCR test?

Symptoms: Tension headaches, pain all over body, flu-like feeling, tender lymph nodes (but not swollen), what appears to be GERD, trouble breathing, excessive sweating, sleep disturbances. My family has a strong history of rheumatoid arthritis. My dad had a hip and knee replaced at 35, and my mom at 48 can't unscrew the cap on the detergent, so fibromyalgia, is a strong possibility in my case.

Also, what do you contribute to your success in the AIDS community.

1 and 2. Oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV acquisition.

3. HIV cannot permeate intact skin.

4. HIV-infected blood in the mouth is a potential HIV-acquisition risk. However, please note not all HIV exposures lead to HIV transmission (as demonstrated by this case!)

Your negative HIV test "more than a year after all possible exposures" is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are recommended or warranted.

Your symptoms are not related to HIV, because you have overwhelming and irrefutable evidence that you do not have HIV! I can't diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet, but I can with absolute confidence advise you they are not caused by HIV.

As for your final question, "what do you 'contribute' to your success in the AIDS community?" I'm not sure "success" and "contribute" are the correct words. Combating the greatest health threat of our generation, one that has prematurely snuffed out the lives of over 25 million people and continues to ravage lives, like mine and 34 million others, was an easy choice for me as a physician, a clinical immunologist, a gay man and particularly as a compassionate citizen of the word. Paul Rudnick, the author, once wrote: "Only money, rage, and science can conquer AIDS. But only laughter can make the nightmare bearable." I attempt to use all four: money, rage, science and laughter to battle HIV/AIDS! This is perhaps what I "attribute" my "success" to. As for what I "contribute," the answer is all that I can, and all that I am.

desperate
Seroconversion after PEP