Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

many can have this very same doubt
Jul 8, 2008

read this carefully: The Bottom Line

Genotypic tests look for known resistance mutations in the RT and protease genes. Phenotypic tests assess whether a drug can stop the growth of HIV in a test tube. The tests are expensive and may not be reimbursed by health coverage. The person must be on therapy and have a detectable viral load when the test is conducted. Quality of testing varies between labs. Treatment decisions should not be based on a single test. They should include factors such as a person's personal preferences about therapy, considerations of potential short- and long-term side effects associated with therapy, and considerations around keeping future options open. My question is as follows: considering that my boyfriend has not started therapy yet, does that mean that the test conducted in CAracas was useless? Take care Doctor, by the way since I had unprotected sex yesterday, this morning I had a shot of penicilin to avoid sifilis or ghonorrea, I am vaccinated against hepatitis, and I will have my sex partner to start treatment tomorrow since He ended up being negative. Bob I cant understand how, after having sex a hundred times this guy did not get infected, I am astonished. Take bob, I wish we had you here in south america, life would be easier.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The information you report is a bit outdated and incomplete. We now recommend a genotype test prior to beginning antiretroviral therapy. The statement about being "on therapy" refers to someone already being treated who may need to change his regimen. That person should stay on his current regimen while the resistance test is taken to get a more accurate assessment of his potential mutations (genotype test). This obviously doesn't apply to someone preparing to begin treatment for the first time.

As for "having sex a hundred times" and not getting infected, actually that's not uncommon. Not every HIV exposure results in HIV transmission thankfully! You can read much more about this in the archives in the chapters on HIV statistics and sexual HIV transmission.

As for living in South America, well, I do enjoy Rio and Buenos Aires, but nothing compares to my beloved San Francisco!

Good luck to you and your partner.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Vitamins & Supplements
Next
Life Expentancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.