many can have this very same doubt

read this carefully: The Bottom Line

Genotypic tests look for known resistance mutations in the RT and protease genes. Phenotypic tests assess whether a drug can stop the growth of HIV in a test tube. The tests are expensive and may not be reimbursed by health coverage. The person must be on therapy and have a detectable viral load when the test is conducted. Quality of testing varies between labs. Treatment decisions should not be based on a single test. They should include factors such as a person's personal preferences about therapy, considerations of potential short- and long-term side effects associated with therapy, and considerations around keeping future options open. My question is as follows: considering that my boyfriend has not started therapy yet, does that mean that the test conducted in CAracas was useless? Take care Doctor, by the way since I had unprotected sex yesterday, this morning I had a shot of penicilin to avoid sifilis or ghonorrea, I am vaccinated against hepatitis, and I will have my sex partner to start treatment tomorrow since He ended up being negative. Bob I cant understand how, after having sex a hundred times this guy did not get infected, I am astonished. Take bob, I wish we had you here in south america, life would be easier.

The information you report is a bit outdated and incomplete. We now recommend a genotype test prior to beginning antiretroviral therapy. The statement about being "on therapy" refers to someone already being treated who may need to change his regimen. That person should stay on his current regimen while the resistance test is taken to get a more accurate assessment of his potential mutations (genotype test). This obviously doesn't apply to someone preparing to begin treatment for the first time.

As for "having sex a hundred times" and not getting infected, actually that's not uncommon. Not every HIV exposure results in HIV transmission thankfully! You can read much more about this in the archives in the chapters on HIV statistics and sexual HIV transmission.

As for living in South America, well, I do enjoy Rio and Buenos Aires, but nothing compares to my beloved San Francisco!

Good luck to you and your partner.

Vitamins & Supplements
Life Expentancy