Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Research question
Jul 8, 2008

Im currently doing some research on the possibility of T-cell transplantation and I stumbled upon this Question dated 10/9/07;

Well I found out why I was so tired all the time the last time I was in the hospital and my white and red blood counts were really bad. My t-cell count was 3. They gave me 5 units of blood in one week and nupagen. After starting me on new HIV meds for only 2 days they did new labs and my t-cell was 90. They know the meds could not have done this yet. So my question is can blood transfusions raise your t-cell count and if so could that be something to help those who have a really low one until their counts rise?

You had given this answer;

Blood transfusions do not raise T-cell counts and are not considered to be an anti-HIV therapy. However, blood transfusions can be lifesaving for those with severe anemia (low red blood cell count, low hemoglobin). Good luck with your new regimen.

However, your answer did not quite fulfill my appetite to the reasoning of why this cant be possible, if T-cells are present in blood drawn for testing for an estimated T-cell count, then it must be true that the T-cells are found to be present in blood during a Donation session? And/or if there is a reason that the T-cells perhaps die off in storage, why cant the blood be treated like organ tissue, and made available for an immediate exchange transfusion in critical lifesaving situation? Provided, that the healthy blood donor is pre-screened for a match and any ill conditions that may be present in the blood.

Thank you, Carl

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Carl,

"Blood transfusions" generally refer to transfusions of packed red blood cells. CD4 cells are T-cells, which in turn are a type of lymphocyte. Lymphocytes are a type of white (as opposed to red) blood cell. There are several reasons the T-cell count could have increased in the post you referenced. The most likely would be related to the use of neupogen. Neupogen stimulates the production of white blood cells. This could indirectly account for some of the increase. Also there is considerable day-to-day, and even intraday, variability in absolute CD4 counts. At any rate, my comments about red blood cell transfusions remain accurate as stated.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Traveler
Next
allergic reaction sleep aid

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.