Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Temp operating range of the virus...
Jun 20, 2008

I was just very curious about the operating temperature range of the hiv virus.

Does the viruses begin to die if as the body temperature begins to rise.

For example if it crosses 106 degrees would the viral load significantly come down ?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Certainly if you heat the virus too high it will eventually die. I don't know the exact temperature at which that will happen, but it's not 106 degrees. I've certainly seen HIV/AIDS patients with extremely high fevers (106+) due to opportunistic infections and yet their HIV plasma viral loads remained phenomenally high. Years ago, before the development of potent antiretroviral agents, a variety of "blood heating" experiments was tried during which blood was removed from the patients, heated and then returned to the patient. None of these experiments proved to be effective.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob you are a whiner !!
Next
One order of fatigue please!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.