elisa

Hi Doctor. I've tested positive to both the Orasure test and the Home-Access test. It appears that both employ the ELISA mode of testing. Does this mean that my result is not yet conclusive in absence of Western Blot test? Thank you, much.

The OraSure-positive result would indeed need confirmation before being deemed a true positive. However, the Home Access test uses a double EIA (enzyme immunoassay) and a confirmatory immunofluorescence assay (IFA), which is equivalent to a Western Blot. The sensitivity and specificity of the combinations approach 100%. Consequently, it appears you are indeed HIV positive. I would urge you to make an appointment with an HIV specialist for further evaluation and follow-up. The specialist will repeat your screening lab work to reconfirm your HIV serostatus and simultaneously check your HIV plasma viral load and CD4 count to ascertain how you are doing both virologically (viral load) and immunologically (CD4 count). In addition to this evaluation, I would encourage you to begin learning more about HIV. Start by reviewing the information easily accessed on The Body's homepage under the Quick Links heading. There you will find chapters titled "HIV testing basics," "Just Diagnosed," "HIV Medications," etc.

I'm here if you need me, OK? Also, it may help for me to point out that having HIV doesn't mean your life now comes to a grinding halt. I've been HIV-positive since January 1991 and can honestly say the past 17 years have been the best of my existence on this wonderful and wacky planet. Certainly living with HIV has its challenges, but with the help of a competent and compassionate HIV specialist coupled with a "positive" attitude about being positive, you can indeed survive and thrive, despite cohabitating with HIV.

i aint mad atcha
Waiting to exhale, its been 4 months