Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KALETRA MONOTHERAPY?
Jun 13, 2008

I've been on Kaletra Monotherapy of 22 months and remain undetectable and my CD4 count went from 350 to 550. I am managing my triglycerides and cholesterol with diet, exercise and fish oil.

What's your opinion with the monotherapy?

Should I stick with it as long as it's working for me?

Thanks for any opinion you may have.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

In selected individuals, maintenance monotherapy with lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra) appears to be associated with a low risk of virologic rebound and/or the development of protease inhibitor resistance. However, whether or not this strategy should be used in a non-clinical trial setting remains debatable at best, particularly in light of the fact the new nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors are now safer and have fewer side effects (lipoatrophy and other complications mediated by mitochondrial toxicity). In general I would reserve Kaletra monotherapy for individuals in a clinical trial where they are closely monitored or for folks who are intolerant of the other therapies. That said, it's always hard to argue with success. And you've obviously been successful so far. Certainly if someone is using monotherapy, adherence becomes even a more critical issue. Personally I would feel more confident using combination therapy.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thanks Robert
Next
How are you?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.