thinning hair

I have had HIV for more than 8 years and I have just started taking medication this year. I had problems with thin hair no matter what I use my hair is very thin even before the medication. If I dont get a hair cut as soon as possible my hair will be looking very thin and shiny and I cannot comb it and when its wet it just sticks to the head. I am black and of African origin.

There are many reasons for hair thinning and hair loss. Yes, some antiretroviral medications can be associated with hair loss (3TC, aka Epivir, for example). However, it appears you've had this problem for some time. Your medications may not even be involved. It could just be genetics. I'd suggest you check with an HIV-knowledgeable dermatologist for an evaluation. Some Rogaine or Propecia may just help you get that Wolfman Jack or Wolverine (X-Men) look back again!

New dx, post PCP, anemia and low CD-4
serious problem sleeping