Androgel Infertility

Hi Dr. Bob,

I've been HIV+ since 1987, and I've been on Androgel for hypogonadism since 2000 (I was exhausted all the time). I'm looking into the possibility of sperm washing. It sounds like something on a box of Tide--"Now with sperm washing!" My questions: 1. Am I definitely infertile if I've been on Androgel that long? 2. If so, is it possible to come off Androgel and get the boys to swim again? 3. Are there are any alternatives to testosterone therapy? I would be really fatigued if I came off it.

I'm 24 and in a magnetic relationship with a woman who'd bear my Tide sperm-washed children. I have not gotten a sperm count done--I was under the impression it would be zero. Thank you for the work you do.

Are you definitely infertile because you've been on AndroGel? No! Absolutely not! Your first step is to meet with an HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician who understands and has access to the latest sperm washing techniques. He or she will discuss the various procedures add Tide to your Maytag washer, climb in, hold your breath until the spin cycle, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised that your little swimmers are quite ready for some in vitro action. If this is not an option for whatever reason, the obstetrician may call in an HIV-knowledgeable endocrinologist to balance your hormonal therapy while the baby-making process is underway.

Good luck future dad.

I am "tired" of my saggy butt due to lipo
New dx, post PCP, anemia and low CD-4