Is fatigue related to hiv?

I have had hiv for about 8 years.I have been taking meds. since then. According to my doctor my health is as good as a person without hiv. I asked him if my extreem tiredness is related to hiv and he says no! I am off meds for the moment but will be beginning again soon. Is my tiredness related to my hiv?

I have no way of evaluating this over the Internet! Certainly HIV-associated fatigue is an extremely common complaint for us virally enhanced folks. There are many potential underlying causes and often more than one cause is working in tandem to drain our energy reserves. Could HIV itself be a contributing factor? Yes, any chronic viral infection can cause fatigue; however, to blame "extreme tiredness" solely on HIV would be premature. There are many other common (not to mention loads and loads of not-so-common) potential causes to consider. For instance anemia, hormonal imbalances (low thyroid hormone, low testosterone, adrenal insufficiency), psychological causes (anxiety, depression, stress), unrecognized infections or malignancies, etc. can cause fatigue. Take a read through the archives of this forum and make a list of the potential underlying causes of HIV-associated fatigue. Bring this list with you to your next doctor's appointment and discuss each item with your HIV specialist. Develop a plan for further evaluation and management of your fatigue. With a bit of collaborative work you should have your batteries recharged soon.

CD4 down!!!! PLEASE HELP
the future