Adopting an HIV + Child

Hi Dr. Frascino,

My husband and I have a 2 year old boy at home. We are now adopting another, slightly older boy who is HIV +. We have done our homework and are working with a great doctor, have a great support system and we are ready to bring this child into our family with open arms. My question involves the few bad reactions we have gotten from a few family members. They are certain that our 2 year old will contract HIV from his sibling (via blood, drool, urine, baths,poop- you name it). I have tried explaining transmission facts to them to no avail. Do you know of any ource of statistics for transmission between members of the same household, especially sero-discordant children?

C

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Pregnant with indeterminate Western Blot
Indeterminate and Pregnant