Thalassemia...does it effect the test results?

Dear Doc!! I'm a 38 yr old White Male. I recently decided to be tested for HIV. I'm planning to remarry in September, and I wanted to cover all the bases. I've had two sex partners in the past 10 years. I've never used needles or drugs of any kind, I've never had sex with a man, but back in the late 80's, I was very active sexually. I had 3 different sex partners in 1989 alone. I did not practice safe sex at that time. I married in 1992, and like I said earlier, I've only been with two women since. I feel fine, but I recently started thinking about my past and started worrying about my health. I have herpes. I can go 12-18 months without an outbreak then have a outbreak that last only for a day or so. I decided to take the HIV test, and the results should be back on the 26th. I really don't think I'm HIV positive, but I'm worried!! Can Thalassemia trait cause the test results to be inaccurant? Need to hear from you!!

Thanks...worried in Alabama

Dear Worried in Alabama,

This forum is dedicated to issues pertaining to HIV-related fatigue and anemia. Your risk of being HIV-positive is quite low. Thalassemia can cause anemia; however, anemia related to Thalassemia or any other cause will not affect your HIV tests. Your herpes infection is also unrelated. Good luck on the 26th! Congratulations on the Sept. wedding!

RJF

fatigue and chills
HELP I DON'T WANT A TRANSFUSION