The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fatigue and chills
Apr 17, 2001

I have been chronically fatigued for 10 years. And currently I get chronic chills, have allergic rhinitis (high IgE)and visual floaters as well. Sporatically, I used to get night sweats and would stop breathing at night. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, but after a turbinate surgery, they say i'm cured. I still have this aweful fatigue. I continue to work and have tried to ignore it but I am irratable and sometimes my neck feels stiff. I am miserable. 10 years ago I kissed a person with AIDS..deep kissing. I remember this person bit my lip, but don't think he drew blood. i found out he was infected after this incident. I was never tested, and have been afraid since...but was always doubtful that the disease would have been transmitted this way. I know the answer is to get tested, but do my symptoms seem like I have HIV?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Your possible exposure 10 years ago was very minimal at best. Your symptoms are not characteristic of HIV disease. Is your sleep apnea indeed "cured?" Have you been evaluated for other causes of fatigue, i.e. anemia, low thyroid, depression/anxiety, lack of adequate sleep/exercise, etc.? If you're worried about HIV, the only way you'll stop worrying is to get tested, so - get tested if you're concerned. Your risk is very, very low, indeed! Your chills and fatigue should be evaluated by your physician. There are many potential causes, with HIV certainly not being high on the list!

Good luck.


Anemia and Procit
Thalassemia...does it effect the test results?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint