Anemia and Procit

I am not HIV but have suffered for a year now with anemia. After an endoscopy and colonoscopy in December, it was determined that there was some slight bleeding in my esophagus and pantaloc was prescibed for every day. After six weeks I went from a 7.8 HBC to 11.9. Then BANG! it blew again, down to 7.8 again. I've now had three 2packs of packed red cells, I get iron shots bi-monthly, B12 shots weekly and take folic acid and B6 orally everyday. Do you think that Procrit would help me? My marrow seem to be up to par building red blood cells but I'm having to produce them so fast that they don't mature or hold enough oxygen. So I'm always tired. Four or five stairs will lay me out for five minutes.

This site is dedicated to HIV-related anemia and fatigue, but I'll briefly comment on your question. Your anemia is caused by blood loss through your G.I. tract (esophagus). Hemoglobin levels drifting down to 7.8 would indicate you have significant anemia, which would account for your fatigue and exercise intolerance. The blood transfusions will quickly boost your back up, but the real goal is to stop the esophageal bleeding. I'm not familiar with "pantaloc," but I assume it is, or is related to, a medication to treat inflammation of the esophagus. Ask your physician for a referral to a gastroenterologist, a physician specializing in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Procrit will probably not be very beneficial as long as you are still actively bleeding. Don't delay. There are a variety of therapies for "G.I." bleeding. See the specialist sooner rather than later.

RJF

LACKING IRON
fatigue and chills