herpes zoster at 14 months?

hi Dr. Frascino,

My boyfriend and I have been in a loving and committed relationship for over 5 years now. We are both male and 28 years old. 14 months ago, in a moment of drunkenness, we went to a sex club and my boyfriend received fellatio. The encounter was anonymous and he did not know his partner - it was all in the dark. I was present and observed the situation. That was in December 2006 - we thought nothing of it as it was v low risk. 1 month ago (Feb 2008) he had a bout of herpes zoster, which cleared up quite rapidly. This has been followed by what looks like angular cheilitis on botn corners of his mouth, stomach troubles (pain/flatulence) and flaky skin on the face, with some red blotches on his chest. I am very worried. This seems like a constellation of symptoms symptomatic of early stage hiv disease. My questions are : 1)are these symptoms so early on possible, 14 months after seroconversion? 2) how can this be the case if the only risk here was receptive fellatio?

I know you get these questions all the time, so i apologise for doing this. But I am very worried as we have been having unprotected sex since his last risk (and therefore worried for myself). We are also cautious about going to get tested - we want to be prepared for a positive diagnosis. Do you think my bf's situation is indicative of hiv disease? pleae answer - really worried here !!

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Negative HIV Test
I need Peace of Mind-Please Help