|I'm worried (SLIGHT CORRECTION)
Mar 20, 2008
ON MARCH 1ST I, while at work on the psychiatric unit stuck or scraped my had against a cactus plant which is located in the corridor of the open unit...i thought little of it at the time and imediately washed the hand with a soap /bleach solution. I was scheduled to donate some blood 4 days later so i called the HIV specialist and asked him if i should be worried about such an injury he said no and that i should be more worried about a plant based virus/bacteria than hiv. I donated the blood 4 days later on the 5th and they said if anything was wrong they would call me; they haven't...now 16 days later.
1. What tests do they perform on donated blood GENERALLY...viral load...etc and would it ,if they tested for it, be detected after 4 days? 2. 2 weeks after that episode(14th) i developeD joint pain (ONGOING) and muscle/neck pain ..no rash...swollen nodes..no fever observed...no sore throat..coated tongue.
The only known hiv pos. patient was not observed to have been stuck prior to my taking up duty....i asked him if he was stuck by the plant he said no.
I will say that i dont know if any positive patient was stuck before me...still im worried..i have two kids 3yrs and 1yr.
A response will be cherished
Response from Dr. Frascino
This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.
more of a comment
I'm unfortunately a long long time reader.
- Will I Never Be Able To Have Unprotected Sex With Herpes?
- What Would Happen If You Had Sex With Someone That Had Genital Warts?
- What Is The Difference Between Hives And Shingles?
- What Does Herpes On The Vagina Look Like?
- What Does A Herpes Rash On The Face Look Like?
- What Color Are Genital Warts From Hpv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.