Crazy live

Dr. Bob,

I recently move from Brazil to Germany. Now, I am trying to find a partner... but I am scared (not about Germans, hehehehe), but most of gays in Germany has no idea about HIV/AIDS. Actually, when I disclosure my status, people always start to cry or ask me if they would be infected, because they just have kissed me or (it is true!) drunk water in the same glass!!!! Is it Brazil so efficient in HIV prevention or is Germany making a very ineffective work against HIV/AIDS? The stigma is unbelievable hard! People always tell me that I must not have any sex... is there a risk to be infect by HIV using correctly condoms? I guess it is impossble, Benedict XVI might say yes... People know that it is impossible, why do they always ask me to have no sex? I am get really paranoic... terrible situation. Actually, I think that I offer low or no risk to other guys... maybe I have to try to use condoms by oral sex, but I never ejaculate in the one's mouth... and my vl is indetectable. Well, is there a risk in just sucking? Well, people have to start to rethink about risks... I am always very honest and do always safe sex, but when I tell: I am HIV+, it is more or less like people have being infected by the sound of these words. They forget that they had millions of partners before and with several ones, they did not have any care...

Actually Brazil is one of the success stories of the entire HIV pandemic. When HIV was first discovered, Brazil had skyrocketing rates of infection and was headed for disaster. The government wisely undertook an aggressive policy of HIV awareness, prevention and safer sex education that was remarkably effective. They also began a policy of providing HIV medications to all citizens who needed it, regardless of their ability to pay. The result was HIV rates plummeted. Unfortunately other countries have not followed Brazil's effective strategy. In the U.S. the rate of new HIV infections has increased, partially as a consequence of Dubya's misguided abstinence-only sex education plan. HIV prevention programs also seem to be losing steam in some European countries as well, particularly in the younger crowd. The stigma you face is a direct consequence of ignorance and fear. My advice is for you to continue to practice safer sex and educate as many others as you can along the way.

You can review safer sex specifics by reviewing the information in the archives. We have entire chapters devoted to oral sex, HIV prevention, HIV transmission and safer sexual techniques.

Methylcobalamin: Novel antiviral for AIDS?
traveling to usa