Is there such thing as too much exercise for us HIV+ people?

Heya Bob!

I am a big fan this website. It's a great source of info and your attitude in particular gives us confidence that we can live positively with the virus. But to my question!

We know that exercise, fitness and good diet help in our fight against HIV, and also combating certain side effects of medications such as lipid level increases etc.

But I have also heard that athletes weaken their immunity for a short time after intense training, my question is?

Should us HIV+ folks do less exercise then HIV- people for fear of it actually weakening our immune systems, or is there no real difference?

Should we just exercise as much as we want to?

Kindest Regards

James

Hi James,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I'm not exactly sure what you heard related to athletes' "weakening their immunity for a short time after intense training," but I can assure you it does not apply to us virally enhanced gym bunnies. In addition to the beneficial effects of exercise that you listed, I would add one more crucial beneficial effect: Exercise makes us look better naked!

See you at the peck-deck James.

Risk to others
hiv positive couple