Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is there such thing as too much exercise for us HIV+ people?
Jan 18, 2008

Heya Bob!

I am a big fan this website. It's a great source of info and your attitude in particular gives us confidence that we can live positively with the virus. But to my question!

We know that exercise, fitness and good diet help in our fight against HIV, and also combating certain side effects of medications such as lipid level increases etc.

But I have also heard that athletes weaken their immunity for a short time after intense training, my question is?

Should us HIV+ folks do less exercise then HIV- people for fear of it actually weakening our immune systems, or is there no real difference?

Should we just exercise as much as we want to?

Kindest Regards

James

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi James,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I'm not exactly sure what you heard related to athletes' "weakening their immunity for a short time after intense training," but I can assure you it does not apply to us virally enhanced gym bunnies. In addition to the beneficial effects of exercise that you listed, I would add one more crucial beneficial effect: Exercise makes us look better naked!

See you at the peck-deck James.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Risk to others
Next
hiv positive couple

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.