Silicone AND Sculptra OK for same treatment area?

Is it safe to use Sculptra in combo with Silicone for facial wasting in the same areas of the face?

The number of questions similarly to yours has increased lately as more options for facial lipoatrophy have become available. It's important to note that facial fillers can have different mechanisms of action. Sculptra and Radiesse, for example, work by stimulating the production of collagen to plump up sagging skin and fill in facial hollows. They are not permanent fillers and their effects will eventually wear off, thus requiring "touch-ups." These agents have been approved by the FDA for treatment of HIV-associated lipoatrophy. Other fillers, such as silicone, are non-biodegradable and considered to be permanent. These have not received specific FDA approval for treatment of HIV-related facial lipoatrophy.

Experience using different facial fillers in the same patient is limited. However, there are no direct contraindications in doing so that I am aware of. I would suggest you discuss your options thoroughly with an HIV-knowledgeable and HIV-experienced plastic surgeon. I generally recommend also getting a second opinion before proceeding with any elective surgical interventions that are permanent.

I should also mention one newer technique for treatment of facial lipoatrophy. It's a surgical approach called nasolabial fold reduction. It involves making an incision along the nasolabial folds ("laugh lines") and actually removing the redundant skin fold. This decreases the need for large amounts of facial fillers. I have seen some very dramatic improvement in folks utilizing this option. Again, an experienced HIV-knowledgeable plastic surgeon is essential for obtaining the best results.

Today: 28 December.
Parvovirus, HIV+ humans and Ferrets