Re: Does Chiropractic Care Strengthen Immunity?

No need to sling any mud, I'm just trying to suggest alternative treatments to a problem who's current treatments have so many side effects. There seem to be enough people on this forum and others experiencing this same phenomenon with chiropractic care. Add that to the study done in 1994 and it sounds like it may be something to look further into. Being a Board Certified Immunologist, and as someone who is infected themselves, it seems like you should be really interested in finding treatment that is safe, effective, and has as little side-effects as possible. Do the research yourself. Go see a chiropractor. Then you can sling all the mud you want that it doesn't work and it's all pseudoscience.

I'm not slinging mud; I'm slinging common sense. I can assure you I am very interested in finding HIV treatment that is safe and effective and that has as few side effects as possible. I've dedicated the past 26 years of my life to that quest. However, as a Board Certified Immunologist, I can assure you the theory upon which chiropractic care is based is nonsense and has absolutely no place in the treatment of immune-based diseases. As a scientist, physician and person with at least a modicum of common sense, the notion that disease is produced by a disruption in the normal flow of a natural life force termed "Innate Intelligence" cannot be considered seriously any more than can the belief in vampires or compassionate conservatives. The concept that "Innate Intelligence" flows through the nervous system and is disrupted by displacements of the spinal vertebrae called subluxations, which can be corrected by chiropractic manipulation, sounds like a rejected script from an old Star Trek episode. As Dr. Spock would say, "It's just not logical!" I would have to question the innate intelligence of anyone who buys this "Innate Intelligence" interrupted-flow theory. I think referring to it as junk pseudoscience is actually a compliment considering how bizarre these claims are! So, no, I don't need to go to a chiropractor for treatment of a viral pathogen causing immunodeficiency anymore than you would need to go to a used care salesman to have your appendix removed. Chiropractic care does not strengthen immunity. Period. This line of discussion is now closed.

Does Chiropractic Care Strengthen Immunity? Dec 10, 2007

Does chiropractic strengthen immunity?

Partial list of relevant citations

...(list deleted)...

The "partial list of relevant citations" you copied from a chiropractic Web site is anything but "relevant" and in my humble opinion as a Board Certified Immunologist is nothing more an exercise in junk pseudoscience. Now exactly which part of my previous statement "I've said it before and I'll say it again, chiropractic care is not a treatment for HIV/AIDS or any other immune system-related illness. It does not affect CD4 counts or HIV plasma viral load. Anyone who claims otherwise is just pulling your leg or snapping your neck or whatever" are you having difficultly understanding?

If you don't believe me, perhaps you'll believe Jerome F. McAndrews, a chiropractor and national spokesperson for the American Chiropractic Association in Arlington, VA: ". . . there is no real evidence that the immune system is strengthened as a result of chiropractic care."

If folks even realized the bizarre, far-fetched theory behind "chiropractic," I doubt they would subject themselves to "treatment." Briefly, chiropractic is a system of treatment based on the theory that disease is produced by disruptions in the normal flow of a natural life force termed "Innate Intelligence." This life force flows through the nervous system and is disrupted by displacements of the spinal vertebrae called "subluxations." Chiropractic manipulation is intended to correct the subluxations, allowing the uninterrupted flow of Innate Intelligence to return the body to full health! Really, I'm not making this shit up! Personally it would seem to me that anyone with even a modicum of Innate Intelligence would have to seriously question the science and perceived wisdom behind such an illogical premise. My advice is "buyer beware!"

Dr. Bob Chiropractic Care and CD4 Cell Count Dec 4, 2007 I have found a couple of answers to questions here about chiropractic care and CD4 cell count. The answer usually is that there is no evidence that chiropractic care has an effect of the CD4 count. This is not true. There is a study that has been out for more than 10 years about how chiropractic care can increase the CD4 cell count by 48%. Here is a link to the article: http://w3.palmer.edu/owens/EOWENS/crj_html/31hiv.html Enjoy!

Hi, Yes, and there are studies out there that claim Dubya is a brilliant president and we all know how accurate that piece of information is, right?!? Don't believe everything you read. I've said it before and I'll say it again, chiropractic care is not a treatment for HIV/AIDS or any other immune system-related illness. It does not affect CD4 counts or HIV plasma viral load. Anyone who claims otherwise is just pulling your leg or snapping your neck or whatever. Don't be duped by hype. Dr. Bob

Feel YukkY!
Do i have HIV?