The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Young and Hurt
Dec 22, 2007

Hello. I am a 19 year old who was diagnosed with HIV. A week after being diagnosed I developed a huge thrombosed hemhorroid. This was the first time i had one thrombosed but i have chronological problems with hemhorroids.I went to the doctor and they gave me proctocream 3 months later as the cream STARTED to work i developed anal warts. I hadn't had anything AROUND my ass for at least 6 months at that point. So now the warts are getting worse and I haven't been back to the doc for HIV testing since the diagnosis. Is there anything I can do naturally to boost my immune system? I am drink Odwalla Juice AND using Andara Cream.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Sorry to hear about your triple-H diagnosis (HIV, hemorrhoids and HPV warts). I can see why you're a bit discouraged. However, natural ways to boost the immune system (like drinking Odwalla) are not the wisest therapeutic options at this point. You need to follow up with your HIV specialist to ascertain how much damage HIV may have caused your immune system (CD4 count) and how actively the virus is replication in your body (viral load). Based on these tests, your HIV specialist will advise whether anti-HIV medications are warranted. These medications are designed to decrease HIV replication, thereby knocking down HIV viral load and allowing the immune system to reconstitute itself somewhat. You also need to follow up with a general surgeon or proctologist to clear up both your thrombosed hemorrhoid and the anal warts.

I'd also suggest you spend some time perusing the wealth of basic HIV information on this site. A good place to start is the "Quick Links" section on The Body's homepage. There you can easily access the chapters "Just Diagnosed" and "HIV Medications," as well as others.

Things can and will get better. But you can't do this by drinking fruit juice. You need physicians involved in your care.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

hiv or oddball chronic infection?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint