RE: 10 YEARS AND IT'S OVER

I had to add my two cents to this one....I have been on a regimen of Truvada/Viramune since summer 2003 (started with Epivir/Viread and switched to Emtriva). I have been undectable since then and have have seen my Cd-4 count rise from 217 to 661 and they are still climbing. My % was 28% and is now 45%. I feel better than I have in years....in fact when I do get the flu or a cold I really feel it because I am used to feeling good. I went through 18 months of combo adjustments to get to the right cocktail with acceptable side effects (right now NONE) but had a horrible time with AZT---made me feel sick and ruined the taste of Diet Coke!!!

I have seen almost 10 new meds approved since I was diagnosed in 2001. I feel very hopeful and this website has been a big part of my education.

You do have to go in for regular doctors appointments and get labs done but it is a much better alternative than what I witnessed for many of my friends in the late 80's/early 90's.

With the internet access and new/current medications, no one in a developed country should suffer from this disease and we need to look after the third world countries.

Thanks for your great advice and keeping us all informed.

A Grateful Reader

Hello Grateful Reader,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story. I'm delighted you have now found a regimen that works so well for you with minimal to no side effects! Yeah!

Be well. Stay well.

10 years and it's over ? Nov 27, 2007

Doctor, I read today in www.xxxxxxxx.org.br, a brazilian site, that after 10 years, pacients in treatment begin to die because medicines doesn't work anymore... and... there's no new medicines available... Is it 10 years a deadline so far ? In general of course .... I know it depends of their lifestyle, care, safe sex etc... But the news says, from the beginning of treatment, 10 years is the dealine to begin serious health problems.... I've become worry !! I'm positive since 2000, but I don't use meds yet... I'm afraid of beginning take meds.... Tk U very much for your time !!

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,

You read that after 10 years HIV patients on treatment die because the medicines don't work anymore?!?!?! Marcelo, if that were true, I wouldn't be here responding to your question, because I would have been pushing up daisies for the past five years! (I was infected in January 1991.)

You also read that no new medicines were available!?!?!? Hmm . . . I can only assume with such blatantly inaccurate information the Brazilian site you were reading must be the equivalent of our Fox News station here in the U.S. Marcelo, the new drug pipeline for HIV therapies is quite promising. Just do a bit of searching around on this Web site and you'll find loads of information on new and developing treatments, including raltegravir, the new integrase inhibitor; maraviroc, the new CCR5 antagonist and KP-1461, a promising new mutagenic deoxyribonucleoside analogue in development.

Finally, what's this nonsense about your being afraid to begin HIV therapy? Marcelo, if I had been afraid to start my HIV meds, I would certainly be dead by now.

Marcelo, I strongly urge you to get more accurate information and to work closely with an HIV specialist. A good place to increase your basic HIV knowledge is right here on this site by using the archives and the various links. I'd suggest you begin on The Body's homepage with the topics listed under "Quick Links."

Get informed and take control of your health! If you don't, HIV will win the battle and take control of you!

oral contraceptives and hiv meds
Chiropractic Care and CD4 Cell Count