Sharing food/blood in saliva?

Hi Dr. Bob,

You rock! My best friend has recently been diagnosed as HIV+ and is really doing ok. I'm still digesting this news, but am ok now, too. I have kept the news to myself because it's really no one's business but my friend's. For myself, I decided to tell my Mom who lives far away--it helps to try saying it aloud and she's usually really great and supportive. Well, being a dental hygienist who has HIV+ patients, she FLIPPED OUT about the idea of us sharing food or utensils. We are both chefs and always share everything we order--it's our thing. Anyway, I have done so much research since I learned his news and KNOW that transmission is impossible, but her concerns were blood in the saliva and the fact that food is often body temperature. I know I can't contract it this way, but can you address this? I really want to hear it from you that we can share food as long as neither of us has bleeding gums, sores, or a bitten lip. She is making this harder on me and I really need to hear it from you. Can you clarify the risk, if any, and any advice on dealing with a crazy, but caring Mom? Thanks so much Dr. Bob!!

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Penis ED problem
Confidentiality/Privacy