Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possibly infected, what to do why I wait for results?
Nov 4, 2007

Hi Dr Bob!

Let me first say that I love the work you are doing here, and your post have been very helpful to me in the past. My question is not about if I am infected, as much as it is what to do why I wait to find out if I am infected. My last possible exposure to HIV was quite recent, and if I was to test out to 6 months, that would bring me into May of next year. I would say that I do have reason to be concerned, but won't get into the details of it. I am not quite as worried about myself as I am for my family members. I am wondering what precautions I should take in the meantime Obviously abstinence and not shooting drugs is a given, which in fact I have not had sex with another person in almost 8 years, and I have never shot up drugs. I know that normal household contact is okay, and not sharing toothbrushes or razors is also recommended. The reason I am worried so much is during this time of year, my hands get very dry and sometime bleed a little bit. Having two daughters, of course they always want to hold Dad's hand and get close to me, which is a bit frightening to me. I know ordinary touching is okay, but it is the dry chapped hands that really worry me. I did read from another expert on this site that the blood from chapped hands is not a significant risk, but that didnt seem right to me. Is there anything that you would recommend, to make sure that my wife and daughters are not at risk while I wait to get tested in 6 months? Also sometimes when I am brushing, my gums bleed. Would it be better to keep those items away from their reach? I also worry that when I bump my hands against a service when they are bleeding, should I disinfect the area with a specific kind of disinfectant? Hopefully everything will turn out to be negative, but I want to do the right thing for the time being. Seeing that I have kids, who we all know get bruises and scrapes, should I perhaps wear gloves when applying first aid as well?

Thanks a lot Dr Frascino! Hope all is well with you!

Response from Dr. Frascino

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Previous
lipo
Next
Elisa positive WB indeterminate next elisa negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.