Treatment options if one is infected by someone's been on meds for a long time

Dear Doc - I don't know how to put my question in a more useful manner and I know it's bit pre-mature to ask, but here it goes: I have just been tested positive and I suspect I got it from someone who has been positive and no medication for a long time. Assuming it's the case, or more as a general question, does it mean I am also getting the drug-resistent virus? Does it affect the meds that I am going to take, meaning I only have the same treatment options (or the lack of them) as the person's infected me?

To answer your hypothetical question, yes, it is possible to acquire a strain of virus that is resistant to various HIV medications. To answer your specific question, you'll need to get a resistance test (genotype) to ascertain if this happened to you. The resistance tests will help your HIV specialist select which anti-HIV medications would be your best option for controlling your viral replication. Your HIV specialist should discuss all this with you in great detail. You can also read about various HIV medications, how and when to initiate treatment and resistance tests as well as a variety of other treatment topics on this Web site and it's related links. Since you've just recently tested positive, I suggest you peruse the information in the "Just Diagnosed" section easily accessed on The Body's homepage under the Quick Links heading.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, OK?

indeterminate western blot
Getting fatigue from work?