Anemia and oral surgery

I was diagnosed with anemia a while back, my doctor just informed me on my las visit thet my hemoglobin is a 4.Is it ok to have my impacted wisdom teeth removed? or should I wait until I get my hemoglobin up to a higher number?

Tenten NY

Hi Tenten,

Your hemoglobin is 4??? Hmmm . . . you must look like Casper the Friendly Ghost! At this point it's important to find out why you are anemic. This is an HIV information Web site. Are you HIV positive? If so, write back with additional information, including CD4 cell count, plasma viral load, current medications, etc. If you are not HIV positive, I suggest you work with your doctor to find out the cause of your anemia and being specific treatment to correct the problem. The wisdom teeth removal can wait a bit until the anemia problem is addressed.

weak strain??
provigilvsdexadrine