newly positive

I just tested positive a week ago.

I had been sick for 11 days with what I now know was sero-conversion illness. On the day that the illness was just letting up...I tested positive.

I have my first doctor's appointment with an HIV specialist in about a week from now.

I'm sure they will help me but I was hoping for an opinion in the meantime...

1)After researching about the experiments that Dr. Fauci(sp?) was conducting and the idea that aggressive triple combination treatment right away might eradicate the HIV...it seemed like maybe that was a good way to proceed. However, I heard no mention of how brutal or not brutal the side affects of that treatment were...

Also, I suppose that treatment like that is still inconclusive so they won't just give it to anyone?

In my head, I was thinking I would wait until I find out my "set point" and then proceed with appropriate treatment from there...also because I'm nervous about taking meds...but if this aggressive treatment might actually eradicate it...it just seems worthwhile to consider. Especially if it's only possible for this to "work" if it's done right away/within four months.

2)It's been about a week that I've felt decent after sero converting and I'm managing to stay active though I feel sort of fatigued/slightly nauseaous...maybe from emotional exhaustion. I guess I'm wondering on top of everything else...how regular is it that I would be feeling fatigued/nausea? Is it still a residual fatigue left over from the sero conversion? UGH. 3)Finally, I'm just wondering how I should be changing my lifestyle at this very early stage. Is it dangerous right now to go on a long bus ride and how much should I be watching out for bacteria and stuff like that?...I was already paranoid before this happened...so you can imagine how it's messing with my head.

Sorry to be so long winded...thanks in advance if you can answer any of these questions.

I have found this site pretty helpful.

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Your HIV specialist will be able to respond to your various questions and concerns in detail. Consequently, I'll just make a few brief comments here:

1. The information I presented on the research that Dr. Fauci is doing is extremely preliminary and certainly not ready for primetime yet. The big question is not how brutal the potent antiretroviral regimen is, but rather is the risk of long- and short-term side effects and toxicities worth the potential (unproven) benefit. We won't know until larger scale clinical trials can be conducted over a longer period of time. If you are interested in this approach, you could check with your HIV specialist to see if there is a currently enrolling clinical trial in your area.

2. There is no way I can give a definitive answer to this question over the Internet. Yes, you could still be experiencing some symptoms related to acute retroviral syndrome; however, it's also possible you are just responding to the shock of your diagnosis. A period of adjustment following such news is to be expected. Your HIV specialist will examine you, run the appropriate blood tests and be able to give you more specific advice. In the interim, I'd suggest you read through the section, "Just Diagnosed," on The Body's homepage, which can be easily accessed under "Quick Links."

3. Once again, without additional information, such as your CD4 count, I cannot give you specific information about this, but I do encourage you to read the general information on this site. Many of your questions will be addressed by your HIV specialist once he or she has completed your evaluation. Until then, I suggest not worrying about such basic things as a long bus ride or taking any specific precautions other than routine general health measures adequate rest, sleep and exercise; good nutrition; decreasing stress; avoiding smoking; drinking only in moderation; voting Democratic healthy stuff like that. OK?

I'm here if you need me.

bloody mess after sex
Fatigue, Medication Costs, and Doctors